Saturday, December 31, 2011

It's OK I have recovered from one coma and about to fall into another...

First of all, Feliz Año Nuevo, Aith-bhliain Fe Nhaise Dhuit, Hauoli Makahiki Hou! I have somehow managed to survive Christmas without the peeps I love, the sweet swell and the scorpion bite and Chico's. I'm not sure about tonight but in the MZ tradition, tuanos! I should be making siesta right now but I am all bound up with notes, words and thoughts. It was starting to look like those eight journals I packed away {a gap of time between entries that look like some of the smiles here} I figured I'd just prop the leg up and have a cocktail so it's fresh mango, tonic and 18 yo rum for me and a few thoughts and issues for you:

  • Ticos celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve so it turns into a 48 hour Feliz hora and Chico's was disco balled and rolling the whole time. They did close for a few hours so everyone could go home and open their stockings or drop their knickers. The cabinasgansta's decided to have the day on the hill so everyone brought something, there was a pot luck, there was a pot luck and there was Poon juice. So nice having a 100mt walk home. Just can't figure out why it took as long as it did. It is interesting how people here, both extranejos and Tico's want to make sure that you are celebrating the day. Don't worry we did. Actually got two big Christmas presents, that 18 yo Flor de Cano Black Label and the scorpion bite on Christmas Eve. A swell time indeed...
  • Four days later my right foot and cankle are still sore and nasty looking. So now it's two snakes and two scorpions I've seen on the road at night. Unfortunately I saw one too late. It was just a collision of two shits in the night and it tagged the inside of my unshod foot { I work more on getting rid of my gringo feet than learning Spanish but that must be the vanity thing}. Fortunately for my Buddhist self I didn't kill it but after a week of this I think I would. Tico's tell you that you soak the bitten part in a strong mix of vinegar and water it reduces the swelling and the eventual itch. I always love shit that gives you two forms of discomfort, the pain and the itch. So now it's antibiotics but that probably is a good thing after a night in San Jose regardless of the scorpion.
  • Montezuma is jammed now with as many Ticos as there are Eurocanagringos. They camp on the beach come into town at night. The start of summer and the holidays are a great time to make party. The boats from Jaco make the beach look like Normandy. Not a room or space anywhere and there and it's like Portsmouth in the summer, you hate the crowds but love the money it brings. I can handle another summer of it in Portsmouth and I an handle it here until after the 6th of January because the government opens up again so everyone goes back to work.
  • The puppets are here! AJ brought all the stuff I needed to replace, get, have him find in the container for the things I had stolen, broken or forgot { the puppets} so even though the boys won't be playing tonight, I will be carrying Zoomey and two stick puppets this wonderful French lady makes. She was in film/theater as a mask maker and set designer in Europe and Hollywood and now sells in the organic market in the park on Saturday. She has made two masks for me that will be used in the Titire Teatro which will be in January. I'd like to do it while my daughter is here so she could lend a hand {I know cheap I'll use a pun whenever}. So after the first fire dancing session, after the Organico musica session with Mel Gibson thinking of playing some {shh don't tell anyone if it's true it will be a shit show} and a lot of picture taking cause he also brought the new lens, I will mask and puppet up and bring in the new year in the center of the universe tonight...
  • Surviving NYE will be a daunting task as it's NYE here until noon tomorrow. Chico's is open until early January 2nd and I'm taking titire to this party in Delicias, yes there is a place and this house party is supposed to be exotic. Two DJ's one who owns the casa and the other is my next door neighbor. Mr Black's casa is supposed to be something, a middle earth kind of place both inside and out so we shall see. It's a private party { that means no more than 75-100} and it's got Poon. HW is everywhere...
So I should be finishing making my siesta but I'm making my third mango and rum, fresh avocado with lots o' lime and fresh bread. I won't have to worry about the scorpions because if it's not light by the time I'm done in Delicias {love that expression} and walking up the road then I missed my turn and it's tomorrow night at Chico's. So for now kids;


New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls and humbug resolutions.
Mark Twain


Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."
HST
just sayin, TmyO...

No comments:

Post a Comment