Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Internet on the road...

It wasn't there the last time we were on this road. There were still IBM punch cards that we used to fuck with and mix up so that the holes didn't line up and the professor would get pissed. And of course one of us "who will ever use the computer?" kids would make sure that he or she dropped the box with every one's project cards. So my project is now part of yours and yours part of someone else. Who will ever want to deal with computer cards???
On the Road now it is as major a highway as the Pan Am highway only it connects everywhere. It is the main source of communication and news. There are no Bruins scores in the Tico Times although I do know what the Jaco Ladie's Garden Club is featuring as centerpieces for their gala.
The issue with the computer is not the cards, it's connection. I moved into cabina cinco and the Internet didn't work and it had been an issue before me. El Jeffe was tired of our collective whining so he had amigos come over and bury cables and put in routers and bingo all cabinas got connected. Yahoo!
Not perfect though cause every time we lose power which I've learned is frequently you have to disconnect and re-connect the power source and router connections. I have  nothing in my casa that flashes 12:00, 12:00 every time the power is interrupted so if there is no Internet it's out back I go. The hookup and works are on the back side of mi casa and I keep a chair there permanently to make the corrections or so someone else can do the same. That will give you a start when it's Howler monkey morning time and there is someone in the window by the bed.
There are three phones in MZ and 10 places to get WiFi so you can stay in touch with the world. Thank you Chico's for not having WiFi for public as that would be another reason to hang out and I would be googling liver transplants.
So when the Internet is your only source of news and commentary you wind up with:

  • Newt Gingrich takes his fourth ‘no-adultery pledge’
  • Saint Paul: Inside Ron Paul’s effort to convince Christian conservatives that he’s their man
  • Rick Perry pushes against 'political correctness' in new TV ad 
  • Fukushima Monkeys to Track Radiation
  • Clark Gable's grandson pleads guilty in laser-pointer case 
  • Lindsay Lohan says has learned from mistake
You get my point. You learn a lot of stuff when you have the Internet in your hand. A lot that you would never spend the time to read in a newspaper.
You begin to realize the further the distance between you and the motherland and the crazier it gets in an election cycle that as HST said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Lindsay tells Playboy that she is "accountable" for the choices in her life and then does a 10 page spread {it's what they call it not me}.
There is no TV in my life and hasn't been since 03.11.11 and the only radio has been in Spanish and it's always loud with some fast talking Tico yelling "MUSICA" or "JESUS".
OK I can go to Chico's Sunday evening and watch futbol with the locals but there is no news or current event source other than the Internet. So that's where you spend the non beach time here. If you want to download anything here it is like shitting a piece of coral, slow and painful. It seems I use that expression a lot these days. Rocky Horror took me three days before I was able to complete the download and I'm a week into the HD version of A Tribe called Quest. 
So that last great Road trip me and the Rocketman didn't have email or the Internet to keep in touch. Just the snail mail which 40 years later is no better here. The Internet, when I have it at least let's me continue to read the Portsmouth Police Log:

11:14 a.m. - A man told police he had a sexual encounter with a woman, left his phone at her apartment and she was using it to send “nasty texts to all his buddies.”


He's lucky he's not Newt Gingrich and he shoulda slept with Lindsay Lohan. Just sayin, TmyO...

No comments:

Post a Comment