Tuesday, December 6, 2011

caer como piedra- to fall like a log...

So there will be no motorbike. Reason grabbed my brain shoulders and shook the idea onto the sand. My balance impairment is more serious than I realized or admitted. I have given up being a stand up guy on a surfboard {but not in life}before I came down here this winter and will grab my love of it on my belly for as long as I can, the boogie man, but that’s just the water side of this issue.
I used to run on the rocks on Long Island Maine during the summers I spent there. It’s a kid thing I know, the goat feet movement over uneven ground and I’m cognizant that it diminishes as you age. I have already admitted to the occasional lurch, stagger, unplanned side step and fall {a stagger on steroids}. So there will be no motorbike.
 There have been a couple of great falls in the last five years with the flying down the stairs at Rogers Street in 2007 being the epic fall with life time consequences and if it hadn’t been for Nate & Justine this would be a very different story.  The focal infarct on my brain, from or before the fall, seems to have a bigger impact than I thought. Twice in the last ten days I have slipped or tripped and broken one rib and one expensive camera lens. The rib will heal and someday Nikon will realize that plastic lens mounts to a metal body are not that strong. At least the first time it happened I wasn’t the catalyst as my camera bag fell off a bar stool, which I never have.
It still is a step in the direction of getting older physically in my life. At 66 I know the stats say I have another seven {I like to spell it as it seems longer} to go and I’m thinking longer if you look at my mom’s side of the DNA. So how am I going to walk my way through how many miles there are left for me on the road? That is a part of it. I look at the next seven as being on the road. I have ideas, plans but I’m very dynamic about when I can go where next. For now I just have to be able to work out the wobble, stumble, stagger part of it.
After the neuro tests with MRI/dye testing and an expensive neuro consult that medicare {the curse of care in the US for me} didn’t cover, it was determined that I had a “slight drop in my left foot, a reduction of sensation in my left side predominantly in the hip and continuum of the lower left side”.
I’m surely not saying that my body is rushing to feebleness and that I won’t be able to do the many miles to go on this road. I’m just sayin that now I have to start thinking about how I do it. TmyO...

No comments:

Post a Comment