Thursday, November 10, 2011

¿No oyes ladrar los perros? {don't you hear the dogs barking?}

I've been hearing the dogs barking since I got here. It started the first night in Bocas when I stayed at El Limbo {from the Latin word limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell and appropriately named} when the dog next door barked until midnight and started again at 0700 as I have already ranted about. There are a lot of dogs in Bocas as there always are when perros voy a hacer sin proteccion. The little Jack Russell at Lula's will run to the gate and bark his disapproval of one local dog and there always seems to be at least one dog barking. They are lucky they are running in the streets of Bocas and not Korea or they would wind up in "BoShinTang" ( Dog Stew). Even though I could have had that un-Buddhist moment with the dog at El Limbo, unless it's a Tofu Pup, it's not a part of my world.
It reminded me of the barking dogs in Belfast Northern Ireland. In the Nationalist communities like Springhill and Andersontown the neighborhood dogs would bark at the British military patrols when they came through the neighborhood, every time. Never once did a dog bark at me when I walked through both communities. The late Fr. Des Wilson a wonderful PP {parish priest} and a staunch defender of human and civil rights in Northern Ireland told me that it was a signal to the community to be on alert when they heard the dogs bark. When I commented that it was probably the uniforms he ventured that the dogs were good at smelling oppression said with a hint of a smile.
Of course I'm not letting you off that easy without pondering why dogs bark at each other or voice anger opposition to oppression. The second most common reason that dogs are brought to shelters is incessant barking. A big part of canine behaviourist practice is the control of barking. Even the type of bark has been studied by someone on a research grant from somewhere:


  • Continuous and fast barking, at a medium pitch: Alert. Problems. Some is entering our territory.
  • Continuous and slow barking, at a low pitch: The intruder or danger is close. Prepared to defend itself.
  • Fast barking with pauses every 3 or 4: Warning of a problem approaching. Asking you to investigate.
  • Long and drawn-out barks at a high pitch, with pauses between each one: I'm alone and need company.
  • One or two short high pitched barks: The most normal greeting.
  • One bark normal pitch: Curious, alert.
  • Short back in a high pitch: Shows surprise. If it's repeated twice it means "Look at this!" If it's longer then it calling. Many dogs use this when they want to go out.  
  • Brief bark, at medium pitch: Happiness.
  • Faltering bark at medium pitch: Asking to play.
  • Howl or short bark at a high pitch: "Ouch!" Response to sudden pain.
  • Repeated howls and regular intervals: Suffering from extreme pain or something that scares them. 
  • High pitch or urgent barks that sound desperate, without apparent reason: It is a way some dogs use to let out steam.
I obviously look this stuff up and don't have it sitting in some corner of my brain because if you know me, you know that most times I don't even know where my keys are.
The thing that I couldn't find anywhere and leave you to ponder;
Do the dogs in Bocas bark in Spanish? Just wondering, TmO...

No comments:

Post a Comment