Monday, November 21, 2011

Hand job or pulling strings...

Tried to send a message to a friend today and thought I lost both the message and this post and then the Internet went down and lost it again. The third time that I have written and seen it go away but somehow got it back to both. Now that I'm in Montezuma with roots for a couple of months it's time to get serious about how how this shit works.
 So it's time to come out in the open and let you know that I have been hiding something for a long time but life is free and and reckless now so I don't care if you all know {all six of you}.  I have been a closet puppeteer since 1953 {I think}when I got a Howdy Doody puppet {pulling strings} which I wish I still had $$$$.
"Howdy Doody himself is a freckle-faced boy marionette with 48 freckles, one for each state of the union (up until January 3, 1959 when Alaska was admitted as the 49th state), and was originally voiced by Buffalo Bob Smith.[2] The Howdy Doody show's various marionettes were created and built by puppeteers Velma Wayne Dawson, Scott Brinker (the show's prop man) and Rufus Rose throughout the show's run.[3] The redheaded Howdy marionette on the original show was operated with 11 strings: two heads, one mouth, one eye, two shoulders, one back, two hands and two knees. Three strings were added when the show returned—two elbows and one nose."
I bought two hand/glove puppets {hand job} last winter in Montezuma and anyone who came to the house have met Montey & Zoomy. If I had two more hands we would already have done a threesome but with only two, someone has to watch. Scary shit if it's me! So part of this winter is making it happen. I've spent more time researching {my way in projects and life it seems} than puppetry but it feels right in the groove. Shared the idea with the Lula's legion and the Raw Tokyo team and they dig it.
Have some peeps looking for a space in Bocas Del Toro that can be both a small living space and a performance/gallery space to spend some time over the next couple of years working with puppets cross pollinating with music, spoken word and image both still and moving. There are a number of resident musicians there and seems like others who roll through Bocas or will when my old homebois and grrlz want to go somewhere in the NH winter. I spent a little bit of time with a mask maker in Bocas and he is interested in carving masks for real body puppets as well as trying 4/6 string marionettes. I'm in Montezuma and trying to find the dude that made my two hand/glove puppets and hooking up with a couple of peeps to do something on New Year's Eve. It will be the first performance for Montey & Zoomy's Teatro Titeres and it's called, Titeres Playa or puppet beach. Doing it on the beach with fire dancing, musica and titeres {either glove or masked human puppetry}. I've been working on this idea and this piece and have even applied for membership to Union Internationale de la Marionnette which has huge global network of puppeteers. All you have to do is spend a wee bit of time in the Cloud to see how big puppetry is. My hope in Bocas is that besides with the schools it will catch on and become a puppet/art space for people to come to. Supporting the Puppet Slam Network and maybe even getting some peeps from the Ballard Institute at UConn to come down and participate and perform is part of the dream state. I hope to do a piece before I leave Bocas and move there in October and get rolling. Would you expect anything else out of me? just saying...tmyO

1 comment:

  1. Doodah goes puppet! This should be really interesting. If you really want a puppet threesome you could let the trouser puppet out. He could be the straight man. Regards, Bob

    ReplyDelete